What is the Environmental Benefit of Food Huggers®?
Reducing Food Waste
- Food Huggers® help retain 23% more moisture than food stored in plastic baggies or plastic containers. Keeping this moisture in and keeping bacteria out help extend the time you have to enjoy all the flavor and nutrition that your fruits and veggies can offer.
- According to the USDA, approximately one pound of food per person is wasted every single day! This equates to 103 million tons (81.4 BILLION pounds) of food waste in a year, or between 30-40 percent of the food supply. You can read more from the USDA HERE
- The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that more than 24% of US landfills are being filled with wasted food. When food goes to the landfill, it’s similar to tying food in a plastic bag. The nutrients in the food never return to the soil. The wasted food rots and produces methane gas. You can read more from the EPA HERE
- The Food Huggers team is always working on new ideas and tools that will help cut back on how much food families throw away. If we can help you keep your food fresh we can help keep it out of the trash!
Reducing Single Use Plastics
- Disposable plastic wrap and plastic baggies are another major contributor to our landfills and pollution in the ocean. When you switch to a reusable Food Huggers product you are replacing hundreds (potentially even thousands?) of pieces of single use plastic from littering our environment.